UK-RAS Manufacturing Robotics Challenge19 June 2019 - 20 June 2019
As part of UK Robotics Week 2019, Sheffield Robotics, Enabling Sciences for Intelligent Manufacturing, and the Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC) will be hosting a Manufacturing Robotics Challenge.
The hackathon-style challenge will be held on the 19th and 20th June at the AMRC's Factory 2050 in Sheffield, UK. Successful applicants will be arranged into teams of 4/5 for the two days, and will work together to solve a novel manufacturing challenge using state-of-the-art facilities and equipment. Prizes will be awarded to the winning teams.
Summary of challenges (subject to final confirmation):
- Human Interface: This challenge demands the implementation of interpretation of verbal commands using natural language processing.
- Instrumentation: This challenge aims to identify objects and generate grasping strategies using machine vision.
- Robot Control Challenge: Here, the aim is to program the real robot a pick-and-place task with the aid of ROS.
- Digital Twin interphace: This challenge involves the visualisation of the real robot movement using augmented reality.
- Integration Challenge: This involves the integration of the 4 previous challenges to work as one single project.
The event is designed to bring together young researchers and engineers working in robotics and manufacturing. It is well-suited to good final-year masters students, PhD students, early-career researchers, and industrial engineers with similar relevant experience in areas including:
- Robotics and autonomous systems
- Control systems
- Computer vision
- Human-robot collaboration
- Digital manufacturing
- AI & machine learning
- AR & VR
To register your interest in the event, please fill out the application form. Places are limited, and the organisers will shortlist candidates based on the information provided. Applications will close at midnight (GMT) on the 12th May, with notification given by 20th May.
Successful applicants will be expected to attend the event, and pay a nominal registration fee of £30 to cover lunches. Accommodation will not be provided, but we will provide assistance with booking. A small number of bursaries will also be available to help cover travel and accommodation costs for those who would otherwise be prohibited from attending.
Date – 19-20 June 2019
Venue – Factory 2050, Sheffield
Fee – £30 per successful applicant
Registration – https://forms.gle/bkU5F243guc5a5g2A
Application deadline – 12th May 2019
Notification – 20th May 2019
For more information see https://esim.ac.uk/news/uk-ras-manufacturing-robotics-challenge